Under the terms of the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005 there are various forms of identification which licensees or their staff can accept as proving your age. From 1st October 2013, these are:

(i) A passport
(ii) A European Union photocard driving licence
(iii) A Ministry of Defence Form 90 (Defence Identity Card)
(iv) A photographic identity card bearing the national Proof of Age Standards Scheme (PASS) hologram
(v) A national identity card issued by a European Union member state (other than the United Kingdom), Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland, or
(vi) A Biometric Immigration Document.

So, if you haven’t got a proof of age card please carry one of these other forms of identification. However, given the significant difficulties in replacing either of these types of document should they become lost or mislaid we would recommend that you consider obtaining a proof of age card which can be replaced far more easily if it has to be.

Please remember that there is no automatic right of entry to licensed premises nor is there an automatic right to service of alcohol. Entry is always at the discretion of the licensee for whatever reason he or she decides and the licensee is under no obligation to explain the reason.


Where to apply
If you would like to apply for a proof-of-age card to verify your age, click belore for all the current schemes.

find out more